To Spin A Yarn

To "spin a yarn" is to tell a tale. The Art of telling a story, a tale, is essential to the human experience. We all have stories to weave, tales to spin. Here is mine.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Chapter 2: Friends and Enemies

"By the grace of the One, we greet thee, fair warriors of the Light," the local patron cried as he ushered us through the door, "Come, come, take solace in our company, rest, rest, thee now."

The elderly man in his long gray robes, long worn thin, past it's former luster. The gold hem that former adorned his atire was now a dark faded maise of sticth. I looked at Trinity and then to Argento. Each responded in equal look of question. What had happened to these people. They were of the Light, yet, it seemed that they lived in darkness and was none the wiser.

"Come, come," the patron said as he took hold of my arm, "Come, take solace here, rest, thee."

The man pointed to a room filled with plush carpeting and pillows. The lamps and candles that lighted the place were adorned with gold and shimmering jewels. But all of it looked dull and worn from lack of polish. Its condition was like everything else in the citadel we had seen so far. Dull, worn, a shadow of former glory. Stepping carefully over pillows and quilts and other peices of furniture, I nodded my thanks to the patron and sat on a chair. Trinity and Argento equally made they way through the maze of pillows and did the same.

"We thank thee, patron, for your kindness and hospitality," Trinity said.

"It is our pleasure, mistress," the patron said, "If you would like, I can prepare a bath."

Trinity beamed a smile as she looked over at me. I smiled and nodded. "Go ahead, you deserve it."

With a clap of her hands and giggle she quickly shed her armor and sword before following the patron out the door. Argento and I watched her leave before shedding our own armor, finally able to rest after what seemed days of fighting. We encountered the enemy several days ago and have been on the run since then. I was starting to think that the King had given us an impossible task, to rally the Brethern to fight for his cause, before we found this place. I must confess that I still think it is an impossible task. We had been a peace for so long that the people have grown accustom to the peace he brought, thinking that we have nothing left to fear.

"Uriah, this place..."

Argento paused, shaking his head in dissappointment. He had expected better from the citadels. Some of the outposts were in similair fashion but he was accepted that resources were few in those remote locations. However, this was a citadel, a major stronghold of the Brethern, they were hoping to find help, only to find simple people cowering in fear.

"Yes, my friend, the enemy has infiltrated this place. The people forget who they are."

"How can this be, Uriah? Their lack of loyalty is most disconcerting."

I busied myself with cleaning my armor and sharping my sword as he spoke. I too had felt the same, yet will not give up on a glimmer of hope that there are still some here that are willing to fight. I looked over at my friend and tried to distill some hope into him.

"I will not give up hope on the loyalty of these, Argento. The enemy knocks at the gates, but they have so far not let him in."

"I am glad we have your confidence, Master Uriah."

Argento and I turned to see where the voice was coming from. We were startled to see the patrona standing at the threshold. We exchanged looks and the thought of having been betrayed. Argento gave me a knowing look as I merely nodded before turning my attention to the patron's wife.

"Mistress, may I beg forgiveness for doubting your people."

The woman moved gracefully, being trailed by several maids carrying platters of food and jars of drink. "It is of no consquence, my lord, Master Argento is right. There are some that forgotten the ways of our people and have givven themselves to the enemy. "

As she ushered the servants forward to serve us before speaking one last time.

"Be ware, my lords. All who smile in your face is not your friend. The hand of the enemy is everywhere...even here."

With a whirl of her cloak she turned to leave before giving way to Trinity who displayed her happiness over having bathed and clean clothes with song. The two women exchanged looks before the patrona stormed through the door. Trinity watched her leave before turning back towards us. Her face lit up as she spotted the food and drink.

"How delightful!"

Argento and I exchanged looks before chuckling and digging in ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home