To Spin A Yarn

To "spin a yarn" is to tell a tale. The Art of telling a story, a tale, is essential to the human experience. We all have stories to weave, tales to spin. Here is mine.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Chapter 3: Who Cares?

The hum of whispered prayers could be heard as we joined the gathered masses for morning devotions. Everyone knelt on frayed and tattered rugs, facing the sun and basking in the sunlight of the new day. I raised my head up to allow the warm light to chase the last bastion of sleep from my weary body before I settle into my own prayers. It had been weeks since I was able to relax and enjoy a morning devotional, but meditation and prayer did not come easy. Listening to the repetition of the prayers disturbed me. They sounded stale, without meaning, mere words from the Book of Prayers. These were mindless rants of people that have forgotten who they are. Their prayers were no longer venerates of adoration and pleas of supplication, but ritualistic chores to be done before breakfast.

I bowed my head and closed my eyes to keep my temper at bay and try to concentrate on my own prayers. If there is only one righteous man, then there is the glory of the One. In this case, with Argento, Trinity, and myself, I can take solace that there are three among the righteous in this place. It did not take long before restlessness to attack and provoke me to move. I could find no peace here. I had to remove myself before I am provoked to slaying these unfaithful.

Hand on my sword, I approach Argento and whispered to follow me in his ear. As we began to move, Trinity perked up and I motioned her to come as well. We had to remove ourselves from these people, lest we become infected with their disease of hopelessness and apathy.

“What are we going to do Uriah?” Argento asked once we were in an alcove alone.

“About what, Argento, what can we do?” I said, sitting on a marble bench. “We came here to find and mobilize an army, not expecting…this.”

“It’s not all that bad, Uri,” Trinity said, planting herself next to me, “There are some people that still able to fight.”

“Who and where are they?” I said.

“The Patrona seemed like she still has some fight left in her,” Trinity said.

“She knows how a far gone her people are and have turned to cynism and spitefulness towards a husband that has grown weak and fat on apathy.” I said.

“That’s not fair, Uri, she is doing what she can, I know.” Trinity said.

I sighed and nodded, answering Trinity’s charge with a pat on her knee. I knew that she knows what is going on with the Patrona. I should trust in her gift to see the heart and motivations of others. It has served us well many times over.

“Right,” Argento said, “So what are we going to do? The enemy is still approaching, daylight or not.”

“I know, we still have a charge to fulfill and prepare these people to fight nonetheless.” I said. “But first things first.”

“Breakfast!” Trinity said and bounced up and headed to the Refectory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home